“Motivation gets you going, but routine keeps you going”
This is a topic that has played on my mind for some time. We hear it all the time, motivation is driving a person to get something done! My concern is that motivation is an emotion that wanes, fluctuates and to be honest is fickle! So on the long journey that is our life, we need to maintain a level of fitness that equals our lifestyle desires!
So what should we do? In terms of fitness, getting fit, running, doing a triathlon or what ever your goals is, I believe there are 5 simple steps:
- Develop a repeatable week
- Be flexible but constant in your approach
- Be organised and disciplined (pack your gear early, set your bike up the night before, take your kit everywhere just in case)
- Do something every day (even the busiest people can find 30 minutes, if they want to)
- Listen to your body (but not the monkey on your back)!
This is an extract from my previous blog about my favorite hashtag #disciplinedconsistency and the principles behind it! Through the application of disciplined consistency to develop your routine you are essential creating a healthy habit and subsequently a lifestyle (or in my world a Tristyle)! Is it easy, HELL NO! Will it take time, HELL YES! Will it be worth it, I can guarantee it will be one of the best commitments to change in your life you will ever make!
To learn more about habit creation read another of my previous blogs about habits & routines! I also wrote a guest piece for another website back in 2017, the link can be found here or here! This article talked about the essential steps to forming a routine and habit that contributes toward our goals daily!
“HERE ARE SOME TIPS ON CREATING HABITS THAT CAN CHANGE YOUR CURRENT LIFESTYLE:
1. Find your cue – what triggers your habits (both the good habits & bad habits)
2. Discover the routine – what is the routine you are doing (again both good things and bad things)
3. Reward yourself
4. Build into it slowly, understand the process takes time!
5. Track your progress – I keep an excel diary & use a mix of Strava, Gamin Connect & Training Peaks!
6. Make it convenient and repeatable – make this your lifestyle choice!
7. Find accountability – use a personal trainer, a fitness group or club, find your tribe and make it fun!
8. Set attainable achievable goals, both short & long-term! Working toward a bigger goal!
9. Always be organized, lay your activewear/workout clothes out the night before! Leave no excuses for when that cue sounds in the morning! Kick that monkey off your back and start your day right!
10. Find a charity event to complete where you have to fund raise, an event or challenge to take you out of your comfort zone!
11. Use the themed runs / events to your advantage as a reward for your work!
12. Go to bed early!”
This is an extract from my article on the “Be Healthy Blog – https://www.foreverbemoved.com/” linked above!
So the takeaway today is simple, don’t rely on motivationto get you to your goal, instead use it to generate a habit and routine that become part of your lifestyle that moves you closer every day to your final goal or destination!
Get on board the hashtags #disciplinedconsistency & #routineovermotivation, I love seeing what you are all doing to change your world!
I would love to hear what habits you are looking to change or create? Feel free to comment below! As always, feel free to reach out if you need help or guidance to achieve your goals!
If you’re not active at the moment & need some inspiration, follow me on Strava, Instagram and like my facebook page and let’s get back out there swim, bike or running. Make sure you subscribe so you never miss a blog post from me! The biggest regret we can have in life is to not TRI!
Till next time build consistency, keep smiling and live to Tri!